We Want to Hear From YOU!

We encourage you to use the comment feature of this blog. You don't have to have a special account to leave your comment. We desire to encourage and challenge one another. Let us know what you think!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Alton Brown Talks Good Eats


Last summer Scott gave me an old issue of Guideposts that he had found at the church. On the cover was Alton Brown. He knew how much I enjoy watching Alton's shows and thought I would enjoy the article in the Guideposts. But as is usually the case, it got stacked together with other magazines and catalogs and completely forgotten. I pulled it out today as I was cleaning out the magazine basket and thought it was high time I read this article so I could put it in my "read" basket. It was pretty good. Nothing I hadn't already heard him talk about until I got to the last two paragraphs of the story. It totally caught me off guard. He had been discussing his "new" Food Network special, Feasting on Asphalt." (A fun show last summer!)

"I told you this has also been a spiritual journey for me. I'm always talking about the physics of cooking, but I'm also into the metaphysics of it. A good meal should offer both physical and spiritual nourishment. That's why I believe the Last Supper is at the heart of Christianity, perhaps its central moment. When Christ broke bread with his disciples and reminded them to do it in remembrance of him, he was showing them the way to both earthly and heavenly sustenance. The simplest moment can be the most profound. Christ unites with his disciples through food that is both sacred and real.
In the end, all journeys are spiritual. So go off the main road. Be givers of hospitality and gracious takers of it too. Accept the serendipitous moments of life because, when all is said and done, you may find that they were not serendipitous at all. And know that faith is real as bread broken among friends. What you believe will take you far on your journey. If you search carefully, you'll find good food all along the way."
[Alton Brown, Guideposts, August 2006, pp. 32)

It was refreshing to hear him talk about Christ and the Last Supper as it applies to life. It my circle of friends, Christ is our daily lives. We talk about what He has done for us and make spiritual connections to life all the time. What is most refreshing is to hear an entertainer and celebrity talk about it.

2 comments:

Steve and Elizabeth said...

I know I commented on your other blog about this but I had one other thought I didn't share. How funny are Alton Brown's pictures?!?! Everytime I see a picture of him it makes me laugh. He has the craziest faces in his pics! Love you! :)

Melis said...

He is the zaniest! That's what makes him so fun to watch!